June 18, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

Posted by Heather

Have you ever tried to make Amish Friendship Bread? Basically it is a sourdough starter that uses natural yeast. I decided to be domestic and make some.
Here is day 1. You mix 1c. flour, 1c. sugar, and 1c water and mush it together in a bad. Then I kept it in my cool oven for 10 days, mushing everyday. It starts to smell a little like beer, but hey I like beer!

Day 6: You had another cup of all the previous ingredients and smoosh again:

Day 10, ready for some baking. You will have a total of 3 cups of yeast starter. You use 1 cup for bread, and then give 2 cups away to friends for them to maintain. As long as you continue to feed it every 6 and 4 days, you will always have a yeast starter to make bread with. Instead of giving mine away though, I selfishly froze the starter so I can make bread at anytime.

My first loaf of bread was banana cream walnut. I made it with whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of oil. It turned out really good!


This loaf was packaged for Ektor to take back to NY with him. Anything for my man :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you sent that with Ektor. It sounds too good and definitely not on the SPARK diet!

P.S. I survived day one and actually was full all day...did I do something wrong?

Savannah130 said...

OMG! That is so wierd cuz my mom just got the bag of the dough or something from are neighboor.