January 13, 2009

Today changed my life

Posted by Heather

There are not many days that alter a person's destiny and lately I have been trying to think of the top 5 things that have changed my life. While many of them bring out pains of loneliness, betrayal, and loss I am learning to acknowledge the suffering that I have experienced in my life with hopes to use those experiences to grow. Today I joined a Buddhist sect known as Rissho Kosei Kai, which is a more modern form of Buddhism (known as Ekayana) that believes any person can achieve enlightenment. While reading through the bio of the minister at my center, I noticed at the end he said

"And the world will be as one. This is my dream."

Such famous words by the late John Lennon and if you know me, you know how much I idolize this man. Is it destiny that the person who will guide me in my spiritual growth also shares the same dream? I have realized that in life I do not believe my purpose is to cure the world of herpes, win a noble prize, make tons of money, or obtain the most expensive possessions. I believe that my purpose in this life is to spread compassion. For many years I thought the vehicle for me to do this was through becoming a doctor however I realized that I actually only wanted M.D on the end of my name for a sense of pride and self worth. Such horrible emotions to live by. The way I beleive I can spread compassion is by following Buddha's path in the Four Noble Truths and by showing it to all living things.

I consider myself blessed to have experienced such a day. Few people ever find their spiritual path. Today I have found mine.

For more information on Rissho Kosei Kai visit: http://www.buddhistcenter-rkina.org/index.html

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! And what a good feeling!